Saturday, July 25, 2009

Issues I'm Dealing With

I have two distinct issues when it comes to the line management of my team -

  1. A high performing team - when to step in/step up?

  2. Staff working at a remote site.

The second issue of having to deal with the remote office has been easier than the high performance team. The high performing people need far less help and looking after but this creates a tension for me not knowing if I am fulfilling my role as line manager or not.

The remote office has tensions around task delegation and completion. There are other persons whom my staff members are there to support who provide tasks and work loads for my staff.

How do I deal with these situations?

  1. The team - I leave the team to do it's work effectively. I don't need to know all the in's and out's of the actual tasks being completed (the how), as long I keep tabs on which staff member is doing the work (the who) and the completion times (the when). I don't need to be 'Big Brother' watching their every move. I trust them and they me. Also they have a far deeper technical knowledge than I do. But when issues arise around timing and external issues - then I come alongside to develop strategies on what the best course of action will be.
  2. The remote office - I also take a similar approach. I don't need to know every task that is being done. The staff members are able to decide for themselves what tasks are important and which tasks aren't.

Fortunately for me so far the big issue of - non-performance hasn't arisen. Sure people have down times and flat periods but as a team we get on with the tasks required and achieve effective results.

I give all my staff higher levels of autonomy and the ability to make their own decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails