Monday, April 26, 2010

People Count

No matter what industry you work in, what sports team you play for or what religous group you belong to - they all centre around one thing.  People.

You have a choice on how you want to interact and engage with those people.  I recommend that you seek to get the most out of every conversation and every interaction that you can.  I'm not condoning being intenselly wired every time but rather that you seek out an opportunity, a new fact or a new friendship every time to speak to someone.

One important relationship I really cherish is the one I have with the Librarians at my work.  It has now gotten to the point where when periodicals that I like come in each month - I get to read them before they hit the shelves.  Why is this and how did I get to this point?
  • Time.  I spend time going and talking to the people whom I think are of value to meor can offer some service or opportunity that is a good one.   
  • Sharing.  I let people know what I am interested in and they keep an eye out for me.  The same is in reverse.  In this case the librarians don't always know what texts are appropriate for our students and the need/want guidance.  I am more than happy to help.
  • Two way relationships.  Making sure others fel appreciated and a part of the relationship is more important than me trying to squeeze out every last drop of juice that will be self-beneficial.
  • Mutual interests.  Find a talking point or conversation starter that you can use the next time you meet the person so you have a launch pad for your conversation to start off on.  This will help you save a lot of time and be able to cut to the chase.
"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main."  John Donne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails