Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Power of Saying - Yes

In a weeks time I get a huge opportunity and the chance to fulfill a lifelong dream to be able to travel, and not only to travel, but travel into China.  To be honest I was pretty sure I would get there one day I just hadn'tfigured it would be in 7 days.

The really great aspect of the entire process of my being able to go all comes down to three basic things.
  1. I said yes.
  2. I was prepared at the right time.
  3. I am ready to go and have the ability to.
In what I thought was just another plain day at work my boss asked me a completely random question.  Do you have a passport?  Answer - yes.  I had no idea where he was going with this.  Second question - is it current?  Answer - yes.  Now my interest was beginning to peak.  Then the third question - do you want to go to China?  Answer - Yes.

It really is that simple.  I made an on the spot decision and it has turned out to be all good.  To put this all into context what happened was my boss has previously visited China in the past few months and had an excellent time there.  While he was there he had the chance to meet faculty from the Nanjing Forestry University.

So what does this have to do with me?  The University have extended the invitation for us to visit again.  As my boss has been on a few international trips already recently he felt he did not have the time to commit with the ever increasing pressures of work.

So he decided to pass the opportunity on to someone else.  That someone - is me.  Awesome! 

So I must say a HUGE thanks to my wife is allowing me to go :-) and oh yeah - I even get to pop into Shanghai for the weekend for some sighseeing and shopping!  So I better bring home something nice!

Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfgangstaudt/3856140286/

2 comments:

  1. Awesome news Jonny - You deserve the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Da. To say it was a "blot out of the blue" is a HUGE understatement. The only bit I'm nervous about is getting on the right train in Nanjing on the Fridat.

    While I would love to check the countryside I have to be in Shanghai to fly out by the Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails