Monday, May 10, 2010

Constructive Criticism

I got nailed today.  I thought I had a lot of the paperwork setup in the correct formats and styles but I was wrong and got it pointed out to me.

I wasn't too about it because some of the persons who provided the criticism had taken the time before the meeting to look over it, make recommendations and capture their thoughts.

So why was I able to accept the criticisms? -
  • The people involved displayed the fact that they had taken the time to look at my work.  I don't mind being corrected provided that you actually care enough to do your research first.
  • The criticism was valid.  The attendees were persons with a history of getting right and the judgements they made were hoest, frank and necessary.
  • The tips and corrections were written down as well as verbalised.  That way I have the criticisms in a form that I can use as references and starting points for making changes.  (This too says that the person had enough reepect to take their time and make corrections).
If you feel the need or have the opportunity to correct someone - follow the tips I put just above.  Next time the person you are speaking to may be more open to what you have to say to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails