What a week that one was! May I never have one quite the same again please.
- Monday - submit CV. Then submit CV again just in case the first email didn't go through. Amazingly the first email didn't go through so sending the same email from a different address was a lifesaver. Lesson - always have a plan b/plan c.
- Tuesday - Christchurch earthquake. Members of my team had older children caught up in the drama along with project team members that I know. A day of stress, worry and ultimately disaster for Christchurch.Lesson - you never know when or where a crisis may appear. You as a manager have to lead, understand and be flexible with your team.
- Wednesday - Marketing workshop. A very interesting session whereby the group reflcted in the marketing practices of our organisation - both good and bad. Congratulations to Rob who somehow managed to hold the workshop together and had some very good ideas.Lesson - if you don't have something constructive to say, don't say anything at all.
- Thursday - head down, bum up. Thursday was intense. Trying to catch up on missed work due to the extended workshop of the day before.Lesson - meetings chew up time. Plan ahead, delegate and avoid meetings with little reward or outcome. Don't do meetings for the sake of doing meetings.
- Friday - customer service 101. Two hours spent with students arranging courses for 2011. Two more hours spent on following up students who either aren't turning up or we think will struggle in 2011. (Time well spent indeed!) Then to finish the week - two emails. One apology and two good news emails.Lesson - time spent on people is always a valuable use of your time; and always try to end the week on a good note. If you have had issues with a co-worker then try and fix them before you leave for the weekend. Reinforce positive events that have happened and fix up any molehill issues before they blow out to be mountain sized issues.
I wonder what next week will hold?