Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Orwell's 1984 - My challenges for 2011

The novel 1984 is one of my absolute favorite books of all time.  In this book the world we read about is run by a single(?) figure known as Big Brother.  All the people of the world are subjected to draconian laws and are hemmed into small boxes that define who and what they ultimately are.

In this book Smith attempts to break free from the system and begin a new course of life.  He indulges in the pleasures of true relationship as well as nostalgia and memorabilia only to have the system know what he is up to and then shut him down.

So this book isn't necessarily directly related to management but then again it is.  Here is my motto for 2011 based on the lessons in this book - DO NOT CONFORM.

Don't get me wrong, I work for a great employer.  My issue is about not allowing myself to fall into the mindless trap of simply turning up, clocking in and clocking out at the end of the day. 

Here are my strategies for the New Year -

  • Challenge the status quo - do things different.
  • Go out on a limb and find things that will challenge me.
  • I work in a team and with real people but not for a faceless corporation.
  • The individual and their person is respected above all else.
  • Avoid and ignore faceless and factless dictates from others.

A bit harsh?  I know.  Stay tuned for more positive and cheery blog posts in the next few days.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails