So you applied for a position within your company - one that you really wanted or coveted - and didn't get it. What do you do?
Well you can either - get bitter or get better!
Here's what I did for the person who got the job over me -
- Congratulations. I offered them congratulations and wished them well.
- Support. I offered and gave as much support as I could to enable them to be the best at what they have to do.
- Integrity. I speak highly of the person when I am talking to others in the staff room or on other occasions.
Remember - you reap what you sow! Here are some questions I use to self relect -
- Role size. Was the job the right shape/size for my abilities? If I didn't get the job because of a lack of skill - then get started and work towards fixing those areas of lack.
- Philosophy. Did the job role and company philosophy suit me and vise versa? If not then great - I don't have to deal with those issues in the future.
- Interview. What questions did they ask? How do I feel I answered them? Could I have handled the interview any differently?
So you didn't get the job. Don't get even - get better!