Check out this short interview with Pete Peterson, alternatively there is another great longer video over here.
Here's my take on what Mr Peterson covers -
- Longevity rules. Mr Peterson has a proven track record over time which equals credibility. When you get to Mr Peterson's age and have grand kids - you care more and you aren't afraid to tell people what you really think.
- Honesty is everything. Be honest at the time when honesty is most required - not a long time after.
- History counts. The longer you are around or are able understand the past - the more effective your management becomes as you are able to quickly react to new scenarios and situations.
- Do what you enjoy and what you are good at. There is no more full proof strategy than that.
- When you've made 'it' reinvest your fortunes into those that either haven't made 'it' or are on their way.
- Never stop thinking about tomorrow or how you can do things better.
Editors note - you may not always agree with someone and their views, but that doesn't mean you can't mine a wealth of knowledge from them.