Thursday, March 5, 2009

Contriteness

What does is mean to be truly sorry - and can anyone ever really be?

What does God expect/want/ask for?

Synonyms
apologetic
compunctious
humble
penitent
regretful
remorseful
repentant
rueful
sorrowful
sorry
conscience-stricken
penitential

–adjective
1. caused by or showing sincere remorse.
2. filled with a sense of guilt and the desire for atonement; penitent: a contrite sinner.

How do we know when we are really being contrite? Can we be truly repentant? Does our behavior actually change after we ask for forgiveness?

I think the best picture of this that I have ever seen was in a movie called Afterglow. Right at the end of the movie the main character reaps what she sowed, and all the viewer can see is her screaming in pain. She knows what she has done, and is expressing remorse for her actions.

There is no sound - just a picture of her screaming.

Some days - that's exactly how I feel.

Screaming for repentance but no sound.

But does He hear me? Of course.

Does He forgive me? Yes.

Do I change? Maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails